276 Main Street, Metuchen, New Jersey 08840

Learn More About Child Support

Our child support lawyers provide answers to your frequently asked questions

The Middlesex County divorce firm of Brause, Brause & Ventrice, L.L.C., are experienced attorneys in assisting clients with child support matters. We take the time to explain child support and how it is arrived at in our courts and what alternative that best meet your needs.  For answers tailored to the unique circumstances of your case, call a Middlesex County child support attorney at our firm for a free personal consultation.

Our child support lawyers take pride in their New Jersey roots, serving Middlesex County and the surrounding communities. For a free consultation, call 732-902-0601 or contact us online today to speak with us.

Is there a formula to calculate child support?

In most child support cases in New Jersey, child support is based upon child support guidelines found in the New Jersey Court Rules. In cases not governed by the guidelines, typically involving parents with relatively high incomes, the court considers several factors to determine the appropriate amount of child support. Our firm’s divorce and family law attorneys can let you know how the courts will address child support in your case.

Back to top

What can I do if my ex has fallen into arrears in his child support payments?
If your ex has not complied with an order to pay child support, you may file a motion to enforce litigant’s rights and have the appropriate probation division implement an income withholding — support payments are automatically paid to you from your ex’s pay. The court also has the discretion to order other remedies that may include:

  • Entering a judgment in your favor and against your ex for the arrears owed with interest
  • Requiring the arrears to be paid on a periodic basis
  • Suspending your ex’s driver’s license or occupational license
  • Imposing economic sanctions or community service
  • Issuing a warrant for your ex’s arrest

Back to top

How does child support differ from alimony?
Child support, which is not taxable income, exists to support children whose parents are divorcing. Alimony or spousal support, which is taxable income, exists to support a former spouse.

Back to top

Does child support cover my child’s unpaid medical bills and extracurricular activities?
Parents are typically required to share (in proportion to their own incomes) their child’s medical bills that are not covered by health insurance. However, the parent with child custody is typically responsible for the first $250 in uncovered medical expenses for each child per year.  The New Jersey Court Rules provide that some activities fees are covered by the child support award under the child support guidelines.  However, parents are also typically required to pay for the agreed-upon extracurricular activity costs for their child in proportion to their incomes, with an understanding that one party will not unreasonably withhold his or her agreement for the child to participate in a given activity.

Back to top


***Recent Change to New Jersey Child Support Law***

Effective February 1, 2017, a new child support law in the State of New Jersey provides that child support and medical support shall terminate when a dependent child turns 19 years old, marries, dies, or enters military service. The new law allows for child support and medical support to continue up to age 23 in cases in which the dependent child is still enrolled in high school or other secondary education program, is enrolled full time in a college or other post-secondary education program, is disabled, if the parties reached a separate agreement, or if continued support is granted by the court.

Contact our family lawyers to discuss whether this new change in the New Jersey child support law impacts your rights or responsibilities.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form